A quick update. After meeting Robert to go over my very embryonic performance plan, we drafted some thoughts, which I copied up when I got home...I chatted over them with Hudge, and let them mull and marinade over the holidays. Now I am to begin... eeeek! I am going on a pottery course. Hopefully I will create some of the 'eggs' I describe below.
Some of Roberts notes.
look at, automatic writing Ron Athey ;- Gifts of the spirit
· mind map
· Tension between being a skilled expert, a ‘professional’
· Need to develop an action plan, including how to develop project. (And maybe funding to feel validated.
· Q engaging work often comes from risk or urgency – what are you putting ‘at stake’
· A “my painting, /I’ll fade away if I do not do it. Age/ not about body, - but my inside, /what makes me tick, not what you look like.
· Q you said you make paintings that your kids and mum can see, but performance is a different medium. If we acknowledge they are not party to all the aspects of your life is it the same economy with the work? If yes why? And does it need to be yes?
· And it does not need to be yes, /not about selling either. So this is wholly liberating,/ only me, (Annabel) questions if I am a painter, nobody else cares.
· ‘Celebrating the small’
· By the time we ‘receive’ trends or ideas often these have been mediated by a commercial force. We might therefore think this nullifies the original intent of the radical originator. (E.g. Vivian westward invents punk, which then becomes massively successful.) but possibly this makes those ideas accessible. If we acknowledged the ‘elephant in the room of commerce, wheres the issue?
· Q what is your quality control?
· Tenets from foundation, through a lifetime of self criticism/ measuring against shit work/ knowledge of experience.
· Check out the work of ‘Suka- off’ in relation to stretched skin
· Seeing work – performance space in hackney wick
· Look up Sinead O’Donnell
· Check up Ron Athey ‘gifts of the spirit’
· Work out what own measures of success are
· Sara Davies in reading
· Think tank
· Performance space
· Set yourself some physically demanding tasks, (i.e.: stuff a pouch with heavy chains and wear until you reconnect with an existing body memory)
· Set a deadline for a sharing before next April
· Question and re question every matter and decision
So here are my Under the skin thoughts so far.
Drawing can be of other things that are then blotted out, rubbed, worked, as the piece is process the viewer will see this unfold.
· Precious things
· Gold chains
· Gold bars
· Egg shaped?
· Hand held
· One easyish
· Two harder to work with
· Three too hard
· Baskets/bags to hold them in???
· Decorate them
· Gold leaf
· Can I leave them
· Not talked about
· Vulnerable eggs
· Children trussed up
· Hard to look at
· Dark emotions
· Leave eggs whilst drawing dark inner self that can be drawn over later
· Elements of life that go to make up self do not have to be part of the face but other drawings that go to make up the layers.
· Start with other lighter parts of life,
· Real clothes from life
· Drawing stops for a while to have eggs.